Sunday, July 15, 2007

My trip to Big Apple





There's no way I can keep up with all the things I'm doing everyday. I just have to accept the fact that the pace of time is moving faster than when I was incarcerated. That's why it's so wonderful that I can just go with the flow.

On the 4th of July I went on my first trip out of California to New York. It's also my first time flying on the air plane in 25 years. I know, I'm experiencing many first times in my life. I thought I was going to be scare flying, but it's cool. Of course, flying business class helped.

My first impression of New York was that there's people everywhere and they walked fast. Then I noticed the high rise buildings and giant neon billboards. Maybe that's just because I was in Times Square. Also, people don't care about the traffic lights. They just walk.

I must share this encounter I had with New Yorkers. My personal cell phone didn't work because I have Metro PC plan. There's no service at all. Luckily I had my work cell phone with me with the Cingular plan. However, I brought the car charger with me rather than the wall charger. Low and behold, the battery went dead on me while I was talking to a friend who's giving instruction to the Bronx, where I'll be staying. So, with the car charger in my hand I went frantically around the block to find someone who can give me some juice for the phone. I asked a Latino guy who operates a cell phone store to help me. He said no. Then I asked an African American who was sitting in a tour bus doing nothing for a charge. He said the bus doesn't have a charger. I thought every vehicle has a charger. I went to a store that sells phones to buy a charger, but it costs $30. That's too expensive for me. I decided to walk around the blocks to see if I can find any good Samaritan to help me. That's when I came upon Steve, a Caucasian who's sitting in a Mercedez Benz. I knocked on his car window and explained my situation to him. He said his wife was shopping inside the fabric store so he's glad to help me. I stood on the street for 20 minutes to get my phone charged up. Steve was a life saver. Later on I brought a wall charger for $8 in Chinatown.

I stayed in Stanten Island with my childhood friends. I haven't seen them in 25 years. Too bad I didn't get to see my friends Dad before he passed on a week earlier. My friend showed me around New York. Then I was able to meet up with some friends whom I haven't seen for many years. I went to all the places that any tourist would go. The subway was my best friend. I didn't get to go watch a Broadway show because there's too many people waited in line for thickets. I also didn't go to any museum because there wasn't enough time.

One thing I didn't like was the humid heat that stuck to my body. Besides that, I wish I had more time in New York to explore and visit with friends. I do hope that there's a next time.

I'm grateful for the generous hospitality of my childhood friends, Bernice and her supermodel roommate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maia said...

Hey Eddy,

Thanks for the postcard! We should get together...send me an email (zostra@yahoo.com).

Maia

10:49 PM  
Blogger Maia said...

Hey Eddy,

Thanks for the postcard! We should get together...send me an email (zostra@yahoo.com).

Maia

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home