Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Let's talk about healing

The tragic murders in Virginia Tech dominated the media in every way imaginable. My heart goes out to the victims' families. It will take a long time for them to heal.

When I did an interview with the Chinese Singtao radio station this morning, the hostess asked for my thoughts on the incident in Virginia Tech. I expressed that I didn't know the details or motive of the killings besides what the authority and media wanted people to know. Therefore, I couldn't comment on it until more is revealed. However, the fact that the shooter was an Asian and a legal permanent resident of the United States was highlighted in the media. The media is having a field day with that, as well as the politicians. This incident will definitely have an effect dealing with immigration reform and race relations.

Any loss of human life is tragic, whether it happened in Virginia Tech, in Iraq or on the streets. Instead of pointing fingers, what's important is how we as a society can stop the violence and heal.