Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cherish Your Loved Ones

I didn't have any professional or social engagements today so my Mom insisted that we
go visit my uncle. I've been meaning to visit him, but I didn't have any transportation or time since I've been out. My sister-in-law took time to drive us to visit my uncle.

Three years ago my uncle had a stroke and was left paralyzed from the waist down. He's been living in a health care home where nurses are taking care of him. He's still hoping to walk one day, but there's no progress so far.

When I was into the room where my uncle was eating lunch, my aunt was feeding him. She was surprised when she saw me and gave me a huge hug. Then I said hi to my uncle and gave him a hug. He recognized me right away and blurred out my name as tears rolled down from his eyes. It's the first time we saw each other in 22 years.

While I was visiting my uncle, I saw many seniors who were in wheelchairs. They all seemed to be suffering from some type of illness. They didn't have any visitors. They just sat there around the tables. Some were sleeping, others were eating. One woman was playing with a doll. Another one was playing with three drinking straws. Later on, an older guy came to room and started to play music on a keyboard. It provided some entertainment, but most of the ladies just sat there with little reactions. As I looked around the room, I thought to myself how much a difference it would make if there're children or youth there to visit them. It's sad seeing all the seniors sitting there like zombies. The reality is one day all of us can end up like that.

I'm grateful that I was able to visit my uncle and aunt. At least we're having a relationship.

I just want to cherish my loved ones everyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home