Thursday, April 05, 2007

Fresh Eyes

I was sitting in the restaurant Skates on the bay in Berkeley with a couple of friends tonight. We're seated by the window. There's a strong wind blowing. The water was making a soothing splashing sound. As I looked out the window, I thought about how quickly things have changed. One day I was in immigration detention awaiting deportation, the next day I was out in the free world. What a difference a day made!

How fresh are my eyes? It seems like I've had a pair of fresh eyes ever since I became educated. Life is definitely different being out here than being inside. Once thing remains the same - I don't have enough time in a day to do all the things that I want to do.

I was walking on University Avenue in Berkeley when Rodney called out my name. He's a student in UC Berkeley Boalt Hall Law School. I gave a talk in his class. Therefore, he remembered me. It's one thing that many Chinese people recognize me on the street because the Chinese media has been generous in covering my story. It's refreshing to be recognize by a law student. Since I've been out, I haven't received any negative
comments from anyone. I'm grateful that people have been so kind to me. How can I ever do bad!?

The journey continues...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home