Friday, August 24, 2007

It must be the Hawaiian Sun...

If things had worked out the way I wanted, I would be in Hawaii attenting the Annual Convention of Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement & National Coalition for Asian Pacific American Community Development today and kicking it on the beaches. Instead, I am working. Not that working is a bad thing since I love my job helping the youth and community, but I would rather be in Hawaii.

The truth is I have to remember that I am a parolee. That means I do not have total freedom of movement. (not that we have total freedom anyway) As a parolee, I have to ask for permission to go anywhere beyond 50 mile radius of my residence. As a ex life prisoner, whenever I travel out of state, I have to get written permission from my parole agent, his supervisor and the reginal administrator. After that, I have to get permission from my ICE agent. I was fortunate that I had gotten approval to go to New York and Washington D.C. However, I was not lucky enough to get permission to go to Hawaii. That was fine with me. What I did not like was that I lost $525 because I had brought the ticket ahead of time. That is one week of my paycheck. I could have gotten some refund, but the news of my disapproval came one day before I was scheduled to leave for Hawaii. So I spent $525 on feeling the excitment of going to Hawaii and the disappointment of not being able to go.

That is the way things go in life sometimes - I can't always get what I want. Life is still good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home