Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Flash

"Ching Chong Yong blah blah blah..."

When I heard the mocking sounds behind me, I had to make sure my hearing wasn't playing tricks with me.

"Did anyone say something?"

I turned around and asked the twelve County Jail inmates.

"No," someone mumbled under his breath.

"I didn't think so." I couldn't let the comment slide.

"Oh, we have a character here," a white dude with a shaved head and tattoed neck responded.

"What character is that?!" My heart rate elevated.

"No, it's nothing. I was just talking about a song we sing," the dude tried to clean it up.

"Are you guys doing time?" I was fed up with the little verbal games.

The guys nodded their heads.

"Well, I'm doing time also. I don't disrespect anyone, so I don't want anyone disrespecting me. That's it." I made eye contact with everyone in the room.

There was silence.

Sometimes I have to flash on people with racist behaviors to make a point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home