Friday, July 28, 2006

Shakespeare Behind Bars

During my stay in San Quentin prison, the San Francisco Shakespeare company would come and perform for prisoners from time to time. The Shakespeare plays would draw a crowd of captivated audience. On those rare occasions, prisoners could escape their reality temporarily.

According to an S.F. Chronicle article, prisoners were able to act out Shakespeare plays and sonnets for their fellow prisoners. Recently, I have recognized a couple of the prisoners who have the potential to be Thespians had they been in the free world.

One would be surprised how much talent is behind prison walls. More power to those who're willing to go inside of prisons and teach.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zachary Drake said...

Hey Eddy, I actually performed with the SF Shakespeare touring company briefly in the first half of 2001. It was actually my first paid theater gig! I was just an understudy, but I ended up performing many times. I never performed at San Quentin, but I heard the other actors talk about it. I'm glad the performances allowed some kind of escape. As an actor, I always enjoy hearing stories about theater doing something useful for people.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home