Monday, December 04, 2006

No Confusion Here

As the usage of the n-word becomes a national controversy once again, many people are confused on who is allowed to say the word or when it's appropriate to use it.

Many years ago when I was talking to a group of youth inside prison, an African American kid used the n-word while talking to me. I remember how I'd gotten up to his face and scolded him for disrespecting himself and his people by using the word. Everyone in the room was surprised at how upset I was since I rarely yelled at people.


I was upset because I understand the origin of the word and its derogatory meaning. I don't use it.

On the other hand, I know that some African Americans use the n-word in a different context that doesn't mean the same as other racial groups.

However, as the era changes, I've heard people of all racial backgrounds use the n-word as regular as saying "What's up?" I would wince every time I heard it. That's just me.

I believe in freedom of speech and its consequences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home