Tuesday, October 12, 2004

APAture

Today I received a big envelope from Anmol. In it was 26 signed support letters and the 6th Annual APAture Booklet.

For the past two years, I had the privilege to be included in the APAture program preseted by the Kearny Street Workshop. Anmol, Monica, or another friend would set up a table to promote my zine and raise awareness about my parole situation. This year Anmol was able to show a taping of my last year's parole hearing. He's always coming up with creative ideas to help me.

I vaguely remember the first time I heard about APAture. I think it was in 1998. I met this pinay named Anita de Asis in the youth program in San Quentin. I showed her my first zine called Flying in Formation. She said that there was an event in the city where she could sell the zine for me. I didn't want to sell my zine. I was happy that someone actually wanted to read it. I told her to do whatever she wanted with it. Anita made a bunch of copies and set up a table to sell them. Afterward, she told me that she sold some and gave many away. She asked me what I wanted to do with the money. I told her to donate it to the kids she worked with in her program. It was all good.

I'm grateful that APAture was able to provide a forum for Asian Pacific American artists to share their creativity and talents. I definitely benefited from being a part of this awesome event.

I want to thank all the people who dropped by the table to check out my zine and watch the video. I'm grateful for the caring folks who signed the support letters for me. You touch of kindness goes a long way.

I want to give a special thanks to Scott Louie who is the coordinator for APAture. I appreciate your support and kind words. Hopefully, I can volunteer my service in the 7th Annual APAture. Thank you for embracing me.