Tuesday, October 05, 2004

More Than Just a Game

I walked around the dayroom of the building just to observe the activities. Aside from people watching the blaring TVs, there were many occupied tables. People were playing cards, Monopoly, chess, dominos, drawing, studying, shooting dice, and chatting.

I stopped at the table where four people were playing a board game called "Axis and Allies Pacific." It is a game that involves attacking and bombing different countries. The four people playing the game were of diverse backgrounds: white, black, black mixed with Chinese, and Japanese mixed with Korean. They were having fun. I picked up one of the plastic soldiers and noticed the stamp "Made in China" on it. I wondered to myself, Is anything not made in China these days?

I watched most of the vice presidential debate between Edwards and Cheney. Aside from all the character attacks, I couldn't help but notice how nonchalant they were when talking about killing terrorists and those who harbor them. Edwards spoke passionately about the necessity for the Israeli government to protect its citizens from suicide bombers. Edwards lamented the death of innocent children at the hands of Palestinian suicide bombers. Maybe I still have a comprehension problem, but aren't all lives sacred? Aren't the innocent children of Palestine dying? Aren't the innocent children of Iraq dying? Who is using weapons of mass destruction? Why harbors the terrorists and inspires terrorism?

Life is more than just a game.