Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Never Miss an Opportunity to Teach

When I attend GED classes wtih county inmates, sometimes they mistake me for a teacher or free staff because I wear a blue shirt and khaki pants. The county inmates wear orange uniforms and immigration detainees wear read. My uniform is different because I work in the kitchen.

Because I've been in the jail 19 months, some of the repeat offenders are surprised that I'm still in custody. They don't know why I'm locked up for so long. They're curious about my situation. When they do strike up a conversation about my case, they're usually shocked and amazed that I've been locked up for 20 years.

That's when I take advantage of the opportunity to share with them the importance of not taking their freedom for granted and staying out of trouble.

After my sharing, they express their appreciation by wishing me luck, saying that they'll pray for me and shake my hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home