Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Eddy's Coming

Once in a while I have to call a meeting among the kitchen workers to talk about self-respect. For whatever reason, most of the guys have no respect for rules unless you constantly remind them of the consequences of breaking them.

That's why I have become the designated babysitter for keep them in line. Believe me, it's like a full-time job.

The first thing I have to do as a babysitter is to lead by example. I follow the in-house rules and have respect for everyone until they disrespect themselves.

Almost every night I have to ask the guys to keep their voices down and turn the TV down before 10 o'clock. I've been doing the reminding so much that it came to a point that whenever they saw me, they would say, "Eddy's coming." Then they'd tone it down.

I appreciate the respect that they give me, but I told them that I don't wan to treat them like kids. I want them to learn self-respect and take responsibility for their actions.
That way, they don't have to worry about "Eddy's coming."