Thursday, April 13, 2006

Final Hearing

I stood on the metal bench with my waist chained, hands cuffed, and legs shackled on the sixth floor of the immigration building in San Francisco. My body was soaking in the rare sunshine amidst record-high rainy days. Through the smudged plexiglass window and square-crossed wires, Chinatown bathed in the rays of the setting sun. As I stood there taking in the postcard view, I wondered if I would see it again.

In the hearing, I testified on my fears of going back to China. However, I didn't fully comprehend the magnitude of the danger to my life should I be deported to China until I heard the testimony from Dr. Daniel Lynch from USC, an expert witness on International Relations.

After a year and a month, all my hearings to fight for my stay in the U.S. are finally over. The judge set the deadline of April 27th for attorneys from both sides to submit their final argument. Then the judge will make a decision on my status of adjustment and Convention Against Torture petition. I just have to wait for the decision and deal with the outcome accordingly.

The support for my hearing was overwhelming as usual. I'm grateful for the presence of old and new friends. Where would I be without all of you?