Monday, April 03, 2006

A for Abuse of Power

"Zheng. Zheng!" Deputy A wakes me up from my sleep. "You need to take your clothes off the bars."

I can't believe that Deputy A wakes me up for that. I proceed to reason with him that the clothes are on the cell bars because I have nowhere to hang them. He refuses to hear my explanation and threatens to write me up (a disciplinary report to punish me). Deputy A orders me to get out of my bed to remove my clothes, or he'll punish me. I comply with his demand.

I immediately check the time. It is 2:25 in the morning. I have to get up at 5 o'clock to go to work.

I cannot figure out Deputy A's urgent need to wake me up at 2:25am to enforce his rule.

In the past 10 months that I've been in that cell, no deputy or jail supervisor has asked me to remove the clothes from the bar.

An hour later, Deputy A wakes up my neighbor and orders him to remove his towel off the bar.

There must be something powerful about Deputy A's uniform.