Friday, March 24, 2006

It's the Look

Somehow, the people in custody are always surprised that I'm educated. Before they talk to me, they make a judgement about me based on my looks. Once they have a conversation with me, they are shocked. And when I tell them that I've been incarcerated for two decades, they are in awe.

This white guy who is in his third year of college said that I sounded very education about 5 times during our 10-minute conversation. He was expecting me to speak broken English and have nothing to say. Then, the three guys who were ear hustling gathered around me in disbelief to hear that I had been locked up for so long. They introduced themselves to me. That's how barriers get broken, stereotypes weaken, and minds get enlightened.

Dialogue is an opportunity to make changes.