Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's My Duty

The Chinese detainee held onto my hand for about a minute and thanked me for helping him learn English. He didn't remember my name because he always called me "teacher". It's the last GED class before the holiday vacation. He wanted to express his appreciation in case we don't see each other again.

It's extremely difficult for those Chinese asylum seekers to adjust to life in detention. They didn't know that they would be held in detention as soon as they set foot on American soil. They have little choice but to deal with the process.

I'm grateful to be able to help make their lives in detention a little easier. Teaching them basic English is one way to prepare them for the struggles awaiting them.

I'm just doing my duty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home