Saturday, November 12, 2005

Reading Steinbeck in Chinese

I finished reading The Grapes of Wrath in Chinese. Though I didn't understand all the Chinese characters, I was able to comprehend 90% of the text.

Whenever I read anything in Chinese, I read in Mandarin. That's the official dialect in China when I was learning the language. Though I speak Cantonese, it's awkwadr to reading in Cantonese unless the text is written that way. There is too much slang in Cantonese writing and speaking.

One of the difficulties that I had in reading Steinbeck in Chinese was the translation of English names. They're translated phonetically so many characters can be used to sound the same thing. There is no universal translation for foreign names.

I guess with more reading of translated books, I'll get better in sounding out the names in Chiense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home