Friday, September 24, 2004

Picking a Bone with Yuri

I finally received Yuri's memoir Passing It On from UCLA this afternoon. I was so excited and happy. It's like I just hit the lottery.

My friend Ben has photocopied the chapter from the memoir where Yuri wrote about me. I felt honored that Yuri wanted to include my poem in her memoir.

I started to read the memoir right away. I had to read many of the articles about Yuri in magazines and books. However, I didn't have much knowledge of her immediate and extended family. As I was reading the chapters about Yuri's children and grandchildren, the waves of inspiration sweat through me continuously. They're such extraordinary human beings and they exemplify the true revolutionary. When I read about the tragic death of Yuri's son Billy and daughter Aichi, my heart ached and eyes filled with tears. Why do so many good people always die young?! The beautiful thing is that their legacy lives on.

So I couldn't help myself by flipping to chapter 12 to read my autobiography at 33 poem again. As I was reading it, I noticed something's missing from the poem. After a second reading, I realized that the two places where Yuri's name was mentioned were missing. Yuri has taken her name out of my poem. I couldn't believe it.

Yuri is so selfless and humble that she didn't want her name to be praised. That's why I have a bone to pick with Yuri. By taking her name away from my poem, it altered the significance of the poem and its history.

Below are the places where Yuri took out her name:

- "My shero Yuri Kochiyama and a young sister named Monica, who is very pretty, wanted to come visit me."
- "They didn't know I've been introduced to Che, Yuri Kochiyama, Paulo Freire, Howard Zinn, etc..."

I don't feel that I'm worthy to be included in Yuri's memoir. However, it is Yuri's memoir. It says more about Yuri's character to embrace me.

I have only love and respect for you, Yuri.

You are my shero!

4 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, michael kors, north face, north face uk, louboutin pas cher, vans pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, air max, coach outlet store online, nike tn, michael kors pas cher, converse pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, timberland pas cher, burberry pas cher, new balance, hollister pas cher, polo lacoste, polo ralph lauren, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, hogan outlet, coach outlet, true religion outlet, nike air force, guess pas cher, hollister uk, jordan pas cher, nike free run, sac vanessa bruno, lululemon canada, true religion outlet, nike roshe, oakley pas cher, michael kors, true religion jeans, ray ban uk, sac hermes, coach outlet, true religion outlet, coach purses, kate spade, longchamp pas cher, ray ban pas cher, nike air max

7:11 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mulberry uk, jimmy choo outlet, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, vans outlet, bottega veneta, nike trainers uk, longchamp uk, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, nfl jerseys, hollister, hollister clothing, soccer jerseys, giuseppe zanotti outlet, herve leger, nike roshe run uk, ghd hair, nike huaraches, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, new balance shoes, chi flat iron, nike air max uk, babyliss, valentino shoes, hermes belt, nike air max, nike roshe run, north face outlet, celine handbags, lululemon, baseball bats, beats by dre, nike air max uk, mcm handbags, nike free uk, ralph lauren uk, p90x workout, abercrombie and fitch uk, instyler, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes

7:32 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, nike outlet, nike roshe, christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ugg boots, christian louboutin uk, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, air max, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, nike free run, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, tiffany and co, prada handbags, chanel handbags, nike air max, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, replica watches, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses wholesale, jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses

7:37 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mcm handbags, ray ban, ralph lauren, nike air max, nike trainers uk, north face outlet, vans, soccer jerseys, hollister, ferragamo shoes, ghd hair, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, converse, beats by dre, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, asics running shoes, north face outlet, babyliss, lululemon, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, nike huaraches, herve leger, gucci, vans outlet, oakley, nike air max, louboutin, mac cosmetics, wedding dresses, bottega veneta, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, mont blanc pens, converse outlet, hollister, celine handbags, p90x workout, chi flat iron, nike roshe run, longchamp uk, hermes belt, hollister clothing, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, soccer shoes, timberland boots, baseball bats

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home