Saturday, June 03, 2006

Teacher and Author

I like to read the S.F. Chronicle's Book Review section whenever I get a hold of one. I want to see whether there are some new books that may catch my interest.

When I was looking through the book reading schedule from last week's Book Review section, I came across the name of someone I know. Jane Juska is the author of Unaccompanied Women: Late Adventures in Love, Sex, and Real Estate. If that's the same Jane Juska I know, she was my teacher in the short fiction writing class in San Quentin. Juska is a unique name, so not that many people have that last name. I recall Jane broke down the meaning of her last name for the students. Somehow, I forgot the meaning and origin of the name Juska. After all, it's been about 5 years since I was in her class.

I wish I was able to attend Jane Juska's book reading.