Friday, January 27, 2006

Walking on the Street

For the first time in twenty years, I walked on a street in San Francisco without handcuffs and shackles.

I had an appointment to do a medical check up in a clinic located in the City. An immigration agent put an ankle weight on my right leg for security purposes and drove me to the medical clinic. He parked at the corner of the street and we walked half a block. It was around 11:20 in the morning so the streets were not too crowded. I walked past many beautiful people and brightly lit stores. The mixed aroma of the food and pastries filled my nose. The sound of cars, cable cars, and people soothed my ears. My eyes were busy transmitting images to my mind.

I sat in the clinic waiting area among other people. I filled out forms, talked to the nurses, completed the examinations, and walked out into the street.

The entire experience seemed like a scene from a movie, yet I wasn't overwhelmed by it. Everything felt natural. I belong out there.