Tuesday, November 29, 2005

More than just a Word

There's not way I'm going to get used to hearing the word "nigga" without associating it as derogatory.

There have been debates, opinions, and controversies over the usage of the "n" word. For African Americans, there are those who have found it acceptable as a cultural thing and others who despise it as racial issue.

Over the years, the usage of the word "nigga" instead of "nigger" has become an acceptable catchy word like saying, "How are you?" among the younger generation.

I made the above observations based on the young people I had encountered and heard using the "n" word. The new (only to me) phenomenon has bypassed all racial backgrounds. For the past month, I've heard people from Fiji, Philippines, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Samoa, and Armenia using the "n" word daily in their conversations.

I have so much to learn.