Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Kiss is Just a Kiss

A couple of guys and I were talking about how a person's posture can be interpreted as feminine or gay in American culture.

An Armenian guy said that when he sat cross-legged, someone had called him gay. Sometimes when he stood with his wrist bent on his hip, some people had called him feminine. He said in his culture, it was normal to greet a friend or relative with kisses on the cheek.

As I remember, it's common in China for men to out their arms on each other's shoulders while walking or kicking back. Females would hold each other's hand in public. No one would give those gestures a second thought because they were signs of affection.

But in America, such gestures would often draw stares and comments or get labeled gay. It's a cultural thing.

I like it when I see some guys squirm after I put my arms on their shoulders or give him a long hug.